I was recently reading the March/April 2021 issue of “The Science Teacher” a publication of the National Science Teaching Association. In this issue, I read the section “Commentary” written by Andrew Zucker. Andrew wrote an article entitled “Teaching Scientific Literacy.”
Here are five themes to consider in order to promote scientific literacy:
- Pay attention to the personal and societal contexts of science.
- Relate scientific literacy to traditional forms of literacy.
- Teach about how to find reliable information about science and how to reject junk science.
- Include some important events in the history of science.
- Help females and minority students realize their potential in science.